What if you could pack for a week in just 15 minutes, confident that you’ll arrive at your destination looking fashionable and 10 pounds lighter?
Most travelers agree that the greatest challenge of packing light is clothing. We obsess over keeping it simple or we fear exceeding the 50 pound checked bag limit. “What can’t I live without?” is closely trailed by “But what if…?”
I have wasted many vacation hours shopping for something I failed to pack, only to settle for a low quality or high priced replacement. On the flipside are the countless times I over-packed and ended up lugging around 10 pounds of things I didn’t need.
Is there a better way? Yes, there is! With a little planning, perspective and perseverance you can drop that extra weight, look great and feel confident next time you hit the road.
1. Use one or two core colors. A dark neutral such as black, brown, or charcoal, will resist stains, appear permanent pressed and camouflage figure flaws. The second color can be a medium-to-light neutral (beige, taupe, teal, etc.) that coordinates with your initial choice.
2. Make some columns of color in your combinations: a black tank and a black pair of capris, a white tee with white capris, etc… Then use accessories to give you the flexibility of dressing a look up or down with ease. For ideas on “accessory encores” check out page 133 in the book, Out the Door in 15 Minutes.
3. Add a few accent colors and prints in tops and accessories to keep your look fresh. Patterned shirts, skirts and scarves that tie in with your core colors are a great addition and are very forgiving when it comes to dirt and stains.
4. Shoes or sandals that match your skin tone with a black or dark brown sole and heel will pair beautifully with any other color you are working around.
5. Pack one cardigan sweater or blazer in one of your neutrals or your hair color. This will be easy to mix and match and may end up being a life saver!
Now you have some basics for clothes – next time we’ll look at “Packing the Details.”Then take it to the next level:
- Pack for a whole week in one carry-on
- Discover 10 “dual purpose” space savers to pack
- Best travel wear in transit
For these answers and many more packing ideas – check out “Packing and Travel” chapter 9 the book “Out the Door in 15 Minutes!”
Jill Swanson, owner of Beauty Made Easy, image coach, style consultant, national speaker, and the author of Out the Door in 15 Minutes, Simply Beautiful Inside & Out, Simply Scarves, and Simply Closets.